OFFICE OF THE CHIEF REGISTRAR FEDERAL COURT OF MALAYSIA ISTANA KEHAKIMAN PUTRAJAYA
- The Malaysian Judiciary notes with concern the grave allegations made against unnamed judges and the Judiciary as an institution, by a sitting judge of the Court of Appeal by way of an affidavit affirmed on 14 February 2019 filed in Originating Summons No. WA-24NCVC-97-01/2019.
- As the action is pending in the courts, we do not intend to address the content of the allegations, save to say that the allegations in the affidavit against the Judiciary as an institution are sweeping, and consequently may have the effect of tarnishing the image of the Judiciary as a whole. This may also well result in public confidence in the Institution being undermined. That in turn, has an adverse effect on the proper functioning of the administration of justice. The Judiciary has therefore lodged a police report in respect of these allegations.
- The Judiciary is eve mindful of the importance of preserving public confidence in the institution. It is the continuing focus of the Judiciary to safeguard its integrity and ensure the proper functioning of the administration of justice.
- In this regard, the Malaysian Judiciary is presently implementing substantive improvements and reforms in the administration of justice, and will continue to do so. It is to be noted that the Institutional Reform Committee has met with the Judiciary and made recommendations that are currently being implemented as well.
- It should be noted that the relevant law enforcement agencies are looking into the allegations that have been made. The decision as to whether a commission of inquiry is necessary is a matter for the decision of the Government.
15 FEBRUARY 2019 ISTANA KEHAKIMAN PUTRAJAYA